Monday, September 15, 2008

Zine reviews. Or Die.

Jesus Christ Super Zine

BEST ZINE OF 2008. Straight up, but no offence to anyone else. I'm just over the moon for this sweet zine, starting with connecting with christ as a "Rose amongst thorns" Formerly christian kid assessing and writing sometimes wonderfully and other times stabbingly about her past. Includes an updated sermon-sheet, and other honest to goodness stuff. Can't wait for the next issue.

Jesus Christ Superzine
c/o SSO Press
po box 2645
olympia, wa 98507


Underspray

(The love issue. Includes this street artist "Linda's Ex" who started scrawling these frantic messages and drawings, looking for his love who left in a storm after a fight in an alley. They say stuff like "Linda, I feel sick" and "I miss you Linda" and sometimes, asking other street artists for help. "Gould, Tower, Evol! Help me find Linda!" It went on for two years, the heartbreaking search for linda. And then when an art show went up, he revealed that Linda did not exist. He said that He was not a melodramatic type of person, But Linda's Ex sure is.Also in the magazine, the "I love You" tagger, and "Love me" Who says that they write Love me because "Girls, um, they make me sad. Actually, it's my psychotherapy. I hate myself." This further makes me love my fellow streetartist. They are all so adorably confused, and sort of like the runt puppy who needs to be bottle fed and forced to be cuddled in your hoodie pocket, 'cause the other puppies are full and fat and mean.) Underpray!


An Uncommon Identity analysis
An awesome zine I got from this rad lady at the Gender odessy conference. She's butch, femme, of colour, abused, priviledged and sweet and amazing and epic. The end of the zine is an open letter to the board of Governors Human Rights campaign.
Street Sketch Book - Trsitan Manco.
(From the person that put together "Stencil Graffiti".It's a collection of street artist's sketchbooks, so It's more looking on with eyes of love and wonder and rainbows and lines than reading Bfree,Ericailcane, Eroded, etc.)
Burn all the things you have to burn
-A zine about an really unhealthy friendship, and one friend's dealing with saying goodbye to what ails her, as hard as it is. starlingzines@gmail.com

Catgirls V. 1 + v. 2, and the catgirl horoscope book. By Catherine Peach
www.myspace.com/catherinepeach
catherinepeach@gmail.com
Your life might suck if you don't look at these catgirl drawing filled zines. Catherine peach is, as my best friend over at powfox says "Really good at drawing girly stuff". My horoscope said i was going to have a really great orgasm this year. Get all of her zines and you'll be really stoked. catgirls on rollerskates, telephones, and in aerobics wear. Which is also what I think of Catherine Peach 'cause she's "slammin".

Ipavid
Nickey Robo
C/o IPRC
917 sw oak street
#218
Portland, OR 97205
nickeyrobo@riseup.net

Rad zine by a rad girl who's zines i have enjoyed lots before (She wrote a really charming crush zine called "My heart beats only for you".) This zine has stuff about being a pedicab driver - wacky stories and sexualization that went into it, drinking and being straightedge, real weights, and the internet phenomena "Chunky pam". Oh yeah, and it has a "Women's (Mad) Lib." or something like that. Send her a few bucks, it's worth it.

More zine symposium zine reviews some other day.


No comments: